CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 10, 2009

Donald Barthelme's Game

I'm too lazy for pictures again today. haha. This shall be a picture-less blog post. Again. Anyway. I read this short story called "Game" by Donald Barthelme. It was about these two guys that were confined underground for an indefinite period of time. They had a mission thing to carry out, and it most likely dealt with nuclear weapons, since it was about life in the nuclear age. And one of their orders was to shoot the other guy if they started acting wierd. Anyway, this one guy had a ball and jacks to play with, and the other guy used something to write on the walls to pass the time. Looking over their pass into infantilism, I started thinking. If I knew I was going to be locked underground for an indefinite period of time, what would I take with me?? More than a ball and jacks, thats for sure. So. I think I'll write about that. This is sounding a lot like an english assignment, isn't it? Too bad the assignment that actually went with this story was much more boring than this. Anyway.
I would have to take my Bible. I don't read it enough as it is. And being locked underground is a poor excuse to finally say I have the time to read it, but I figure its the one thing I could read over and over and still feel like I'm getting something out of it.
A big, fat notebook and a pack of pens. To write stuff in, obviously.
My big hardback book of Jane Austen's complete works.
My iPod, if there was going to be an electrical outlet.
My own pillow and blankets.
The full set of Harry Potter books.

And you can bet your butt I would fit all of that in one suitcase if necessary. Along with things such as an extra pair of clothes or two, toothbrush/toothpaste, shampoo, etc. I wouldn't agree to this thing if there weren't showers somewhere. hahaha.

But yeah. This was a random weird post. I just felt as if I had to explore my confinement options. I don't think I would revert to infantilism [at least quite so quickly] if I had these things with me. haha. Heck... these things are what keep me sane anyway.....

0 pretty notes: