CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter & The [Understated] Half-Blood Prince [SPOILERS!]

This is my official review of Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince. First off, let me make this point: I LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVEDDDD it!
Now. That aside, it is time to DISSECT it like any true Potter-head would do. ^_^

I have to keep reminding myself to separate the books and the movies in my head. They are not the same, and they should not be treated as the same. If I don't look at it like that, I go beserk. And the books will ALWAYS be better [duh], but I find that I can love the movies for themselvs easier when I think like this.

GOOD STUFF!
Okay. Point Uno.
HUMOR! [or, in honor of HP - HUMOUR! heehee] Anyway. The humor was AWESOME. I'll put the rest of my points with bullet.. points. haha. So they're easier to keep track of.

  • Ron [and therefore Rupert Grint] really had his shining comedic moments. Won-Won under the influence of a particularly strong love potion is a MUST-SEE! He is hilarious! His comedic timing is PERFECT.
  • Dan is an amazing actor! He had all the comedy down pat! Harry under the influence of Felix Felicis was also a MUST-SEE! Oh, goodness! "I think I'll go to Hagrids!" haha. His cocky, yet still awkward way of portraying that assuredness that can only come from liquid luck was pure comedic genius. Or just plain ol' genius. Also... Dan's gotten really hot. Sorry. Had to stick that in! [Not that he hasn't always been good looking, but ya know.]
  • Four words: Word for word conversations! I'm not even done re-reading HBP for the 5th time. I started it last week. I have like 7 chapters to go, but whatever. I read enough to remember WORD FOR WORD CONVOS that the characters had in the books AND movies. That, needless to say, made me squee with happiness!!!
  • Hermione [&, again, therefore Emma Watson] has really gone through a journey! Emma was able to stretch Hermione to her emotional and academical limits! I LOVED the 'opugno' birds, chasing after Ron. EXACTLY like in the book!
  • Neville [Matthew Lewis] in that waiter outfit. Priceless.
  • McLaggen was hot. And a jerkface. But he's more of a jerk in the books, and not quite as hateable in the movie. However, I would have liked to see McLaggen hit Harry with a bludger and have Harry say, "I'M GOING TO FIND MCLAGGEN AND KILL HIM!" Then Pompfrey could have said, "I'm afraid that comes under the heading of overexertion." But, that's a teensie tiny little thing that I don't really care about. Just had to comment on it.
  • Ginny/Bonnie got TONS MORE SCREEN TIME! YAY!
  • Luna/Evanna was AWESOME! Her dresses were fabulous, and her Spectre-Specs were amazing. Her lion hat was perfect too! "Wrackspurts. Your head is full of them." hahaha.
  • Little Tom Riddle was CREEEEEPY! I LOVED IT!
  • The memories were flipping fantastic.
  • Gambon's acting was VERY MUCH improved. Two movies too late, but it was VERY MUCH improved. ^_^ yaaay!
  • I also loved ALL the Slughorn scenes. And Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes!
  • And Kate was excited that they kept Arnold in, Ginny's pygmy puff.
  • How Harry tried to defend Ginny when the burrow was surrounded by fire.
  • When Harry's trunks showed up at the Burrow. Ginny: "Mum! When did Harry get here?" Mrs.: "Harry who?" Ginny: "Harry POTTER!" Mrs.: "Don't be silly, I'd know when Harry Potter is in my house!" Ron's head pops up: "Did someone say Harry?" Hermione's head pops up: "Harry? Did I hear his owl?" pahahaha.
  • When the inferi grabbed Harry.
  • Tom Felton can CRY. And he's hot. I wanted to give him a hug when he was crying.

Not-So-Great Stuff [That I dislike just enough to complain about, but I don't really care that much.]

  • The last 1/4 of the movie seemed a bit rushed.
  • There was no death eater/whole school fight at the end. The death eaters broke in to stand around and wait for Draco to kill Dumbledore, then they high-tailed it. Didn't really make sense.
  • PG my butt. That was totally PG-13. Psssh.
  • Dumbledore was clueless about the Horcruxes. They messed up the memory about it too.

Stuff that Really, Truly Sucked [Even though I still luffluffluff the movie! It is a surprisingly short list! Just THREE things!]

  • Snape goes, "I am the Half-Blood Prince." Anticlimactic. By this time, no one is even wondering anymore. No one cared. Because they didn't emphasize Harry obsessing over the HBP. They had him hide the book, but he didn't get in trouble with Snape for using Sectumsempra! That would take 2 minutes.
  • In the book, Dumbledore has a split second to stupefy Harry, so that he is forced to watch, immobilized, as the Death Eathers corner Dumbledore. However, in the movie, Harry is footloose the entire scene. That he does not act appears to be a moment of cowardice, or doubt. It is not becoming, and I haven’t yet thought of a good reason for this change. [word for word from another blog. Couldn't have said it better myself.]
  • The Harry/Ginny kiss. Same awkwardness, same camera angle, even less duration than the Harry/Cho kiss! Put some mistletoe over them, give Ginny a blonde wig, and it would have been the same. dang. kiss. Besides, Harry is supposed to pick her up in a room full of cheering Gryffindor Quidditch fans and give her the greatest kiss of both their lives. Dean Thomas got a better snog out of Ginny than Harry did! And Dean & Ginny were in public! Not the freaking room of requirement. And after the kiss, there was NOTHING else between them. Not flirting, no obvious couple-ness. Nothing. Except for Ginny comforting Harry when Dumbledore was dead. But she would have done that anyway, so. yeah.

I know, this has been long. But Great. :)

Agree with me... disagree? lemme know! *points to pretty notes button*

2 pretty notes:

Kate Hamman said...

I think you got everyting I was oing to put. Couldn't have done bettter myself. :D YAY ARNOLD!!

Tina said...

:DDD
Yay!

Because great minds think alike. ^_^
When I get back from NC we will have to see it again. Though I'm sure you'll have probably seen it again by then. You don't mind seeing it more than 5 times, right? ;)