CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Birthday Concert: Straight No Chaser!

So, I've been following Straight No Chaser ever since their '12 Days of Christmas' youtube video became popular. I ordered their DVD and some of the CDs they made in college, and went and bought 'Holiday Spirits' the day it was available in stores. Same for 'Christmas Cheers.' I think I had to wait for my payday and bought 'With a Twist' just about 3-4 days or so after it came out.

So, understandably, I was really psyched when I heard that they would be coming to Tulsa on May 8, the day before my 19th birthday. Actually, I was more excited about the concert than my birthday. :P I turned my mother into a fan around the time of their first Christmas CD, so she was excited to go. My grandma fell in love when I sat her down to listen to a CD right before we bought the tickets. And Kate, my best friend, had heard me play them before and so I brought her along for the fun.

I knew the concert was going to be fantastic. [The only downside was the fact that I am 5'3 tall, and the people sitting in front of me were at least 5'10.] But they blew me away! I loveloveloved listening to Straight No Chaser live! They went way above and beyond my already high expectations. It was the best concert I've ever been to.

I could listen to these guys all day long! Could have listened all night long. :) And afterward they were so nice in the autograph line. I talked with several of them, and ended up having to take two pictures with Jerome because I blinked in the first one. I got my little mini-poster from inside the CD autographed. And then the next time I checked my facebook, I had a notification from Randy wishing me a happy birthday and saying it was nice to meet me. That was an unexpected surprise and it was nice to meet all of you guys too. :) And it was great to hear happy birthday from all of them going through the line.

I knew Kate had become a fan when she searched out the SNC music on my iPod when we went on our traditional Sonic run for slushes. I think we made it there five minutes before they closed. haha. Most of the people that ride in my car have heard Straight No Chaser, and it is obvious how amazing they are when people say, "wow... they ARE good!"

So, if you haven't heard of them... you must look them up on youtube immediately and then go buy their newest album, With a Twist! :D Some of the best music ever! And then if you ever get the chance, see them live. It is a million times better than listening to a CD. Plus, they're really funny and I love watching them dance. I was trying to pick a favorite song of the night, but I just couldn't. Some of the ones that were tied for first were Hi-De-Ho [SOOO amazing live!], Joy to the World, Poison/Billie Jean [loved the MJ dancing], Africa [so beautiful when they sing it!], Fix You, and Lion Sleeps Tonight. The TV theme songs were especially good, and I really enjoyed Charlie singing the Beverly Hillbillies theme.

They also knew how to make the crowd happy with OU/OSU mentions. And the very last song without mics was gorgeous! The original song that I believe Dan wrote was fantastic. I loved it.

I was a very happy birthday girl! :D

0 pretty notes: